The developer community is the heart of the OpenDaylight Project. Whether you’re a user, an engineer working for a solution provider, or an independent developer with a personal interest in open networking, there’s no better way to help drive forward the field of networking than to join the OpenDaylight developer community.
Here are recommended steps for starting your participation in OpenDaylight. Don’t hesitate to bookmark this page to have all your key links in one place.
- Download the code here, and start exploring.
- Read the documentation, especially the Getting Started Guide, and explore the wiki. The wiki is the best source of technical information and links for OpenDaylight.
- If you find a bug, please report it.
- Join a project that interests you. Or if in doubt, join the Documentation, or Integration and Test projects. These are excellent paths for learning the inner workings of the platform.
- Find a mentor to help shepherd your contributions to the project. ODL Foundation technical staff can help guide you if you’re not sure whom to work with, given your interests.
- The Announce mailing list is a good way to learn about both the projects and the developers who work on them. Join as many as you find interesting.
- Join an Open Source Networking User Group in your area. Or start one.
- As you gain expertise, volunteer for leadership roles, and mentor newer developers.